Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ made from Trex decking?
- The majority of Trex Outdoor Furniture is built using POLYWOOD® lumber. This exceptionally durable plastic lumber is made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE), UV-inhibited pigment systems, foaming compounds, and selected process additives.
However, select pieces from the Parsons collection incorporate Trex Transcend® decking material.
- Does it contain wood or natural fibers?
- Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ built using POLYWOOD® lumber is made from HDPE and does not contain wood or any natural fibers.
Pieces built using Trex Transcend® decking material do contain wood and natural fibers.
- Is the Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ color only on the surface?
- The color in Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ built with POLYWOOD® lumber runs all the way through.
- Is it UV protected?
- Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ contains UV-inhibited pigment systems that reduce fading in pieces built with POLYWOOD® lumber.
- What are the Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ cushions made out of?
- For the best year-round performance in outdoor settings, Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ cushions are made from Sunbrella® fabrics.
- What is the hardware made from?
- For optimal performance and longevity, Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ uses genuine stainless steel hardware.
- Do Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ tables include an umbrella hole?
- Yes. All our conversation, dining, counter, and bar height tables — excluding the Surf City 30" tables — include a removable center plug for umbrellas.
- Is assembly required?
- Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ is designed to require minimal assembly. Some models even unfold right out of the box with no assembly necessary. Those that require assembly often take less than 30 minutes to complete and include basic tools with simple instructions. The assembly instructions can also be viewed on the individual product pages of the website.
- How much does Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ weigh?
- The weight of a Trex chair is similar to that of a hardwood chair, averaging 30 to 50 pounds each. This means that even in strong winds you won't have to worry about your furniture blowing away.
- How do I clean Trex® Outdoor Furniture™?
- For regular maintenance, simply wash the product with soap and water. For advanced cleaning or to remove fungi, use a solution of 1/3 bleach and 2/3 water. Fungi can also be removed using any readily available anti-fungal product. The surface characteristics of the product may require the use of a soft bristle brush to get into the creases.
The hardware used in the assembly and construction of our furniture is an 18-8 commercial grade stainless steel that has an additional Xylan® protective and cosmetic coating. Although the quality of the hardware has a high level of corrosive resistance, the hardware can show some sign of corrosion in salt air environments. A practical solution to these signs of corrosion is to wash the product using a soft bristle brush to scrub the corroding areas of the hardware with soap and water. Appliance touch-up paint in the appropriate color can also be used to protect the hardware.
- Can it be painted?
- Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ does not need to be painted, stained, or sealed in any way, due to the durable nature of the material.
- Can it be sanded?
- Although minor scratches in POLYWOOD® lumber can be addressed with a light sanding, Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ cannot be completely resurfaced using sandpaper. Trex Transcend® should never be sanded.
- Can Trex® Outdoor Furniture™ be power washed?
- A high pressure power washer may be used for regular maintenance to keep your furniture looking like new. Pressure should not exceed 1,500 psi, which is the equivalent of a car wash. The surface characteristics of the product may require the use of a soft bristle brush to get into the creases.
Trex Transcend® can be power washed at up to 3100 psi. A fan tip should be used on the power washer, and should be held minimum of 8 inches away from the furniture.